Filing Income Tax Returns is one of the major duties of an individual, that should be followed by every citizen of the country without fail. The process of ITR filing can be confusing and tiresome for many taxpayers. Well, to make sure that your ITR filing does not give troubles, here are a few tips which will guide you file error-free Income Tax Returns: –
10 ways to error free ITR Filing
- The first and foremost mistake what people make is to fill their name, you must fill the same name on your Income Tax Returns Form that is mentioned on your Permanent Account Number Card or PAN Card.
- You should be careful while filling your e-mail address, contact number and postal address correctly, as it will be used by the Income Tax Department in future to get back to you.
- You must quote your Aadhar correctly.
- Only the below-mentioned taxpayers can fill the ITR-1 form in Paper Form: –
- An individual who is of 80 years or more.
A HUF whose income is not more than Rs. 5lakh.
- Taxpayers who are filling other forms should fill them electronically.
- You must check your Form 26AS for the income as well as taxes reported by the deductor, in order to avoid unwanted errors.
- You should ensure that you have paid all the outstanding taxes before filing Income Tax returns and use correct challan to avoid errors.
- Information with respect to the deposit of specified notes exceeding Rs. 200,000 (old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes) during period 9 November 2016-31 December 2016) needs to be reported.
- Taxpayers must ensure that the tax returns they have filed are verified, either manually or electronically, within 120 days of filing to avoid annulment of the tax return. In case, the taxpayer wishes to manually verify the ITR-V form, he/she can do the same by sending a signed hard copy to CPC Bangalore, he/she should ensure that ITR-V is printed on A4 size paper and signed with blue ink only, before sending to CPC Bangalore.
- You can verify your ITR-V by generating electronic verification code using Aadhaar, net banking, bank account number, demat account or registered e-mail address and mobile number etc. of the taxpayer.
So, you can follow these simple steps to make your ITR error-free this ITR season.