The Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN), launched the facility of filing NIL statement for Composition Taxpayers. With this, Composition taxpayers would now be able to file NIL statement in Form GST CMP-08 through SMS and without signing in to the GST portal. CMP-08 is a quarterly statement of self-evaluated tax to be filed by Composition Taxpayers.
As per an official statement, the facility of filing the NIL proclamation on the GST portal will remain available to the citizens. According to GSTN insights, a sum of 17.11 lakh taxpayers have decided on the Composition Scheme, out of which about 20% (3.5 lakh) citizens who filed NIL proclamation, would be benefitted from this facility.
Procedure of Filing Nil Form GST CMP-08 through SMS
- Send SMS NIL C8GSTIN Return Period to 14409. For example, for NIL Filing for Tax Period Apr-Jun 2020: NIL C8 07AXXXXXXXXXXZ6 062020
- · After sending the SMS, the taxpayer will get a six-digit check code through SMS. Send SMS again on a similar number 14409 with Verification Code to confirm the filing of Nil Form CMP-08. For Example: If Verification Code received here is 324961, it should be sent as CNFC8 Verification Code. (CNF C8 324961).
- After fruitful approval of the Verification Code, GST Portal will send back Application Reference Number (ARN) to a similar mobile number and on the registered email ID of the taxpayer to intimate successful Nil filing of Form GST CMP-08.
- Subsequent to the successful filing of Nil Form CMP-08, through SMS, the status of Form CMP-08 is changed to ‘Filed’ on GST Portal. The taxpayer can visit the portal and check it.
- It may be noted that if the sequence of the message is not completed or is incorrect or not as indicated in the format, filing will be unsuccessful. Henceforth, taxpayers are encouraged to file NIL CMP-08 or some other NIL return through SMS in the prescribed format only.
The office to file NIL GSTR-3B (Monthly outline return filed by typical taxpayers) and NIL GSTR-1, (Monthly or quarterly statement filed by normal taxpayers to unveil their outward supplies along with their tax liability) has just been given to the taxpayers. With the extension of this office to the Composition Taxpayers, presently more than 35 lakhs citizens can file NIL return/statements through SMS.