If you are still waiting for your income tax refund and haven’t received it yet, it could because you have an outstanding tax demand from the income tax department. Once you clear the outstanding tax to the government, your income tax return will get processed and tax refund, if any, will become payable. You can log on to the e-filing website of the income tax department and submit the response and make a payment against an outstanding tax demand online if any. You can even choose to Agree or Disagree with the tax demand.
How to Check an Outstanding Tax Demand status:
- Sign in to the ‘e-Filing’ portal www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
- Go to the ‘e-File’ menu and click on the ‘Response to Outstanding Demand’ option.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ located under the ‘Response’ column.
- As a taxpayer, you can make a payment against the demand and clear your outstanding tax by clicking on the link under the ‘Pay Tax’ option.
- You will be redirected to the NSDL website to pay the outstanding tax.
- On the NSDL website, you can choose from four options of listed responses.
1.Demand is correct – If you confirm ‘Demand is correct’ then you cannot disagree with the demand again
If you choose the ‘Demand is correct’ option, click on the ‘Submit’ button to ‘Confirm’ and complete the response submission process.
2. Demand is partially correct
If you choose the ‘Demand is partially correct’ option, then you have to enter the ‘Amount which is correct’ and the ‘Amount which is incorrect’ will be auto filled in the next field. Select the appropriate reason(s) from the list and fill all the applicable fields, upload the necessary supporting documents and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
3. Disagree with demand
If you choose the ‘Disagree with demand’ option, then select the appropriate reason(s) from the list and fill all the applicable fields. You can then upload the necessary supporting documents and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
4. Demand is not correct but agree for adjustment
If you choose the ‘Demand is not correct but agree for adjustment’ option, select the appropriate reason(s) from the list and fill all the applicable fields. Upload the necessary supporting documents and click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- On successful submission of the response to the outstanding tax demand, a success message will be displayed with the Transaction ID.
- After paying the outstanding tax, you can view the submitted response by signing in to the e-filing website.
- Click on ‘Response to Outstanding Demand’ and then click on the ‘View’ link under the ‘Response’ column.
- Click on the ‘Transaction ID’ option.
In case you need assistance with responding to a tax notice or an outstanding tax demand, you can ask an expert for advice at All India ITR. You can also file your ITR online with us by downloading our mobile app.