If you are a salaried Individual, you must have come across the term Tax deducted at source , which is also called as Tax Deducted at Source. TDS is the tax deducted by an employer and it is paid to the Government against your PAN number.
TDS going to the Government
Once Employers deduct TDS, they issue Form 16 to the employees, Form 16 is a certificate of your income and it contains the details of your income and taxes paid. Employers deposit TDS by the end of every quarter and generally, Form 16s are issued after the end of every financial year.
Since TDS is deducted at the source, employees generally don’t bother about it. However, as an employee, you may land into trouble if your TDS is deducted but not deposited with the government. If that’s the case, then you will receive a notice from the Income Tax Department for discrepancies in Form 16 and Form 26AS.
Here’s how you can check whether your employer has deposited your TDS to the Government or not: –
- The TDS which is deducted can be checked quarterly by visiting the official government income tax e-filing website.
- You need to login to the income tax e-filing website using your login ID and password.
- Then click on the View Form 26AS tab on the right side of the screen. This will take you directly to the TRACES website.
- In order to download the Form 26As from the TRACES website you have click on Tax Credit and go to the Form 26AS option.
- Form 26AS can also be downloaded by PAN holders who have the ones who have a net banking account with various participant banks. You just have to log in to your bank’s internet banking website and click on the option provided to view Form 26AS.
- The taxpayers can also gather information about TDS deposited against their PAN numbers through SMS alerts on the contact number they have provided. Therefore, all taxpayers should update their correct and active mobile numbers in their e-filing account.
- To avoid mistakes, you must ensure that you provide a correct PAN number to your employer. Any kind of discrepancy should be informed to the employer immediately and a revised Form 16 should be issued to the employee.
Service Tax on Immovable Property
So, where the ways by which you can check, whether you TDS is deposited to the Government or not.