The last date to file Income Tax Return for the Assessment Year 2018-19 is fast approaching and there are times when taxpayers make mistakes while filing Income Tax Return in hurry. In case you have filed a faulty Income Tax Return, this is how you can correct the errors that you made and file revised ITR for the Assessment Year 2018-19.
How a taxpayer can file revised return
A taxpayer is required to file his/her revised Income Tax Return in the same manner, in which he/she filed the original ITR. The first and foremost thing which a taxpayer is supposed to do is visit the Income Tax Department’s official e-filing portal and login to the website using the login credentials. In Part A, which comprises of the General Information, the taxpayer has to choose ‘Revised Return under Section 139(5)’ from the drop-down menu and in the in the same tab, provide information to identify the original return which should be the ‘Original ITR’S Acknowledgment Number’ and ‘The filing date of Original Return’.
How many times a revised Income Tax Return can be filed by a taxpayer?
The taxpayers are allowed to revise an income tax return whenever they find any omission or error within the time limit prescribed for the filing of revised return. However, one should take special care while filing a revised return, in order to avoid complications in the future and should not misuse the facility provided to them by the Income Tax Department.
The major things that you must know while filing Income Tax Return.
- When a taxpayer files revised Income Tax Return, the original return is withdrawn and is substituted by the revised ITR.
- 31st March 2019, that is the end of the Assessment Year 2018-19 is the last date to file revised Income Tax Return for the A.Y. 2018-19.
- It is necessary for the taxpayer to mention the date of filing and acknowledgement number of the original return.
- It is important for you to verify your revised Income Tax Return.
- All India ITR Login | Start Filing Income Tax Return